Continued from the post "an old year has ended". I got in contact with Junior the mason who came along with the help of Andy got started chipping away the old plaster. Beneath the plaster we saw fine roots from the golden palms that had grown into the stonework and had cracked the pond. I removed what I was able to and mixed a spray can of root kill. I then sprayed the entire stonework with this mixture when Junior and Andy had finished removing the plaster.
The plaster had to dry for a week before we started sealing the pond. We used a liquid rubber and applied it with a roller brush.
We did the floor as well and left it for a few days to dry after applying several coats of the liquid rubber.
The gravel was rewashed and dumped back into the pond. That took about two days. The pond was filled and that took a day and a half. The plants and fish were brought back in. We had only one casualty with the fish. We lost a comet and have since replaced it several more.