Translate

Thursday, June 25, 2020

The breadfruit

prosciutto on breadfruit pancake with spinach and cheese and pickled breadfruit garnish
pan fried snapper on a bed of pickled breadfruit  garnished with a carrot and okra mélange this was deeelicious!
Breadfruit ice cream with breadfruit pudding garnished with caramelized sorrel ( hibiscus sabadariffa). Paula used a ripe breadfruit for this dessert. This was the creme de la creme of desserts!
Earlier this year my friend Paula whom I met a few years ago visiting Barbados. She is an avid gardener in the UK and told me she followed my blog. Her roots are Guyanese and she attended university here in Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago. She is a true Caribbean woman! Well we would meet up whenever she is in Barbados. So she invited me to lunch and let me tell you, this was one of the finest meals I have ever had! I cleaned the plate! The meal was centered around the breadfruit. Now Paula mentioned  that she ate it fried or boiled in Guyana, and had never prepared breadfruit like this before. So she scoured the internet and came up with a few recipes and made them her own. Not only is she an excellent cook but an adventurous one as well!

The breadfruit or ulu was brought to the Caribbean by Captain William Bligh who sailed the Pacific in the 1700's. It was first brought to the island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 1793 from Tahiti and has become a staple in most tropical countries. It is being sought as an alternative to wheat flour for those who are gluten sensitive.

The tree is massive and can provide food for many years to families.
There are dwarf ma'afala varieties that are now becoming available and are quickly snapped up by home gardeners.
More about the breadfruit click on the link below

3 comments:

  1. what a fantastic food adventure! What a friend! <3 As always, your post warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you on Maydreamsgardens. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.