Translate

Friday, October 15, 2010

GBBD October 2010

Epiphyllum oxypetalum, a night blooming cereus, this plant was given to me by my mother Miss Rose two years ago. It bloomed for the first time a few months ago and last week. It opened around 9.00 pm at night and had closed sometime in the early morning.


 
Lipstick pink ixora along my back wall garden


white dendrobium orchids, photo taken at dawn and during the day.
   Garlic vine

pink mussaenda
The rose of Sharon starts off the day white, this picture was taken around 6.15 am in the morning.


It turns a deep pink in the evening, this photo was taken around 5.00 pm. It's a pity that the flower only lasts a day.



Hello folks and welcome to Garden Blogger Blooms day where gardeners all over the globe post what is blooming in their gardens. This was the brilliant idea of Carol from maydreams gardens. To see more of what is blooming around the world please take a skip hop and a jump over to her blog. Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. You have the most beautiful blooms! Love that pink mussaenda and the ixora! You are so lucky to have gotten a cereus bloom! My mom gave me a cutting last year, and while the vine has snaked all over, and I've even snapped a few new cuttings, I've yet to see my first bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aloha helen,

    what a very nice tour of your garden this morning, i enjoyed the beautiful flowers and that cereus is magical :)

    thanks for sharing that with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. aloha,

    what a very nice tour of your garden this morning, i enjoyed the beautiful flowers and that cereus is magical

    thanks for sharing that with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Incredible blooms. Right now everything at my place is holding their own until winter....green...but no blooms:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun to see your exotic plants! They look so lush and healty. Thanks for sharing these beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, your garden looks so lush and beautiful! Love that cereus and the colours on the mussaenda and the ixora. Great shots of all the other lovelies. I especially like your white dendrobiums.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Helen,
    Always a thrill your tropical island blooms and visit your amazing garden. Tell me more about 'garlic vine'... don't think I know that one but what a nice flower. Your mussaenda is glorious and ...so fun when the cereus blooms. I can never remember to get back out in the night to get a photo.
    :-)
    Did you get drenched from Paula?

    Hugs and wishes for a happy weekend. Meems

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Helen, it's great you had to take the photos at night and early morning for us to see your blooms. They are beautiful. I remember we also have those garlic vines when we wer young, but it's been a long time that i haven't seen that in gardens. That rose of Sharon is wonderful, i see them in other gardens but i didn't know it is the same flower which turns pink, as i haven't had the chance to plant them in my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen, it's me again! Thanks a TON for the ID of the burgundy plant. You've made my day!!! (Hugs)~Kanak

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen! I love your Rose of Sharon. It is known by the same name here too, but some bloggers call the blue-violet hibiscus the rose of Sharon. I wonder which is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so many gorgeous flowers. The night blooming cereus is my family's all time fave. We used to grow it when I was little. It's bloom time was irregular and we get to see it only for an hour or so when it opens at night and then slowly close again. All of us in the family watched the blooming process with torchlights, like watching a movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.