Today I am writing this with a very heavy heart. My beautiful dog Sandy is fighting for his life. It has been a week he has been at the vet. I noticed he was laying down a lot and thought it was a result of his shots the vet gave him the day before. He was not playing with the other dogs and then I saw him vomiting. I saw him with a big dead rat lying at his feet the evening before so my husband and I took him to the vet the next day. They quickly put him on a drip and started treating him for rat poisoning. His chest was very congested and he was badly dehydrated. The vet said it might not be rat poisoning but some other poison. She told us that if it were Gramoxone herbicide poisoning that there is no treatment and in most cases it was fatal. It all depended on the amount ingested. Recently I was speaking to the man growing veggies in the field next door who told me he sprayed his weeds with some type of weed killer. My heart sank, Sandy was always in the field bringing home discarded veggies and eating them. I have not slept properly since he has been at the vet.
My husband and I go twice a day to visit him. He ate some chicken two days ago and stopped the next day. Yesterday I made some chicken and pumpkin soup and he drank some. This morning the vet reported he had diarrhea last night and this morning but there was no blood and that was a good sign. I took some more soup with blended chicken but he didn't take any. We took him outside for some sun and fresh air. This was his third time outside in two days. He is not out of the woods as yet but he is much brighter and happy to see people. His heart rate is faster than normal and the congestion comes and goes. His medication was changed yesterday and we are hoping for good news.