Translate

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day Feb 2011



Hello friends and welcome to Garden bloggers' bloom day  this  windy month of February. I have the Clerodendrum splendens or the flaming glory bower blooming in my garden.  With its red and hint of white flowers and heart shaped leaves I consider it a perfect Valentines plant. And a belated Valentines day to all. There over  four hundred species of Clerodenrums, this one is a native to Western Africa. It is found in most tropical  climates and as far north of central Florida. It is sometimes mistaken for its' cousin the Pagoda flower or the Clerodenrum paniculatum. Like most beautiful Clerodenrums,  they are invasive and must be controlled. It is easily propagated by root suckers, seed and softwood cuttings. To see what is blooming in other gardens around the world please take a stroll over to Maydreams gardens.

12 comments:

  1. Did you say Clerodendrums..I have this plant which is a white variety Clerodendrums insicum (musical notes plant), the one I thought was cat's whiskers. See my post 'Wrong Plant!'But your hot red/white type is so beautiful. Happy Blooms Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots. They are blooming in my garden too. Now that you mentioned it, they are perfect for Valantine's Day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Helen for letting me know the name of my pink bloomers. Hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see your photos from balmy Barbados--wish I was there. I am in snow-covered Pennsylvania, US, but the temperature suddenly shot up and I managed to find some flowers outside. Happy GBBD, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous plant. I especially like the vibrant, coral color. I love seeing the beautiful tropical plants that you feature :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aloha,

    love the beautiful colors of this clerodendron, its the first photo on my gbbd post also :)


    thanks for sharing this today

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, this flower screams Happy V-Day. It is pretty even if invasive. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so Clerodendrum species are mostly invasive? Ours is a different species and maybe it's invasive too because i see them in fruit orchards and coconut orchards blooming beautifully. We did not plant it near our home but we have it now, i thought maybe because the area is suitable for them. Now i know they are invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful blooms! happy blooming day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This C. splendens is very very red and I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.