Translate

Monday, February 21, 2011

Moby Dick

 For nearly ten years he had been in solitary confinement. I heard about him from my husband and I thought that he was seeing ghosts. Many days and many months I would try to get a glimpse of him and see absolutely nothing. Then one day I heard a large splash and ran to the pond, at last I had seen this ghostly fish whom my husband had nicknamed "Moby Dick"
 He resided in this large growing  pond for about  ten years. Initially there were four butterfly Koi  that my husband had put in hoping that they would multiply. Soon after we decided to get rid of all our Koi  from the show pond because they were wrecking the water lilies. We managed to capture two of the butterfly Koi  in this growing pond. Later we found one floating so there was just one left. Years passed without a glimpse of him  so naturally I thought that he had died too. A few years later my husband said that he had spotted him. I laughed and told him that he was seeing ghosts. Last year I started going by the pond at night with a torch light. And lo and behold I spotted "Moby Dick"!  I tried capturing him but by the time I returned with the net he was gone. The nets remained by the ponds for several month but nothing happened.
Last week around midday,  we were  chatting with some visitors around the pond when "Moby Dick" made an appearance. So lately my husband started waiting by the pond with nets around noon time. He said that "Moby Dick " usually comes  around a certain area of the pond  at the same time everyday. I smiled to myself and thought, boy he  has a lot of patience. Some days he can be seen sitting around the pond at midday the hottest time of the day. When I approached him,  he would signal for me to stay away. So I happily left him to his own devices.
 Yesterday  Sunday around midday,  I heard my husband bellowing  my name.  I ran out of the house quickly thinking that something  terrible  had happened.When I got within earshot he shouted to me to get a large container. I ran like the devil was after me. I collected a large tub and ran toward him. He was standing by the growing pond with a net in the water.  I asked incredulously if he had caught "Moby Dick"? He asked  me to fill it partially with the pond water. I did that and he placed "Moby Dick" into the container.  "Moby Dick" was taken to the show pond  where he is now ensconced with other fishy companions. Hubby says that he hopes he survives the move and not die of a heart attack.  When I last checked  "Moby Dick" was doing fine.  Well done fisherman Chuck!

7 comments:

  1. What a hilarious story! Thank you for sharing. I live in Canada (Kingston, Ontario), and it reminds me of the year me and my brother, then 7yrs old, decided to keep some young pike in our back yard in an abandoned rowboat filled with water. We started with 3 fish, caught at the water's edge with home-made fishing poles. What a terrific entertainment they were. We fed them worms, and went out at all hours to follow their progress. Unfortunately, the fish were not so amused. One committed suicide...we found him in under a cement block that we had put in the pool for shade. One died, belly-up. And the third, we were planning to return to the lake in early fall. However, it was an early freeze that year, and the fish was eternally trapped in a frozen block of ice. My brother and I spent the rest of the winter chipping at the enormous block to look for the last fish. This is one of my fondest childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! I try to imagine you at night with a torch and your husband with a net at daytime! I think Moby Dick should be very happy to be with other fish! It's like Robinson Cruzo (spelling?)! If you wanted, you could make this post to a story for kids! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting anecdote! Congratulations to Chuck for catching Moby Dick! I'm sure Moby Dick will be happy with his new companions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that must have been so exciting!! For someone who's been in solitary confinement for ten years, Moby Dick sure took good care of his looks!!;))May he live happily in the show pond with his companions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen, long time no hear from you, how are you. hehe! Your garden seem to have nicely recovered from the last typhoon. That fish is awesomely beautiful, it doesnt look like a koi but a Beta splendens. How lovely tail and fins. I hope it really will thrive in that little habitat now, it looks so special already with the 10 yrs in solitary confinement. I hope he manages to adjust in the new environment. It will be a big waste if it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully interesting splish splash story, a real life adventure of you and hubby Chuck with Molby Dick (MD). I'm sure MD medidated inside the pond for 10 years and he had reached spiritual excellence. Perhaps there will be magical happenings in his new home. By the way, did grant you any wishes?, ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful pond! Love the water lilies!! Moby Dick has a way to give you, your hubby and visitors wonderful greetings each day ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.