Translate

Friday, July 4, 2014

Working wood

Round pond was drained a few weeks ago because of water quality problems and roots from the areca palms. I will have to remove the palms before they wreck the pond. The pond water was very good for my thirsty plants.
All these palms have to be removed.
A temporary wooden pond was built for the three huge cat fish and  I plan to use it after for an aquaculture project.

The pond painted in a cedar wash and liner installed.

Leaves and flowers from the tamarind tree were blowing into the pond so I had to install an overhead cover.
The three albino cat fish were transferred to their temporary home and are doing fine. The remaining fish were transferred to the the other lily ponds where most of them died within days. This might be due to the heat and a lack of oxygen. Moby Dick was one of the casualties.
 I have been busy doing some wood trellises for the garden. I built this obelisk to run some pepper vines on and I am quite pleased how it came out.


Some tools I can't do without. Did I tell you all that hardware stores excite me? I just love perusing these places.

 Hello folks the welcome to my rustic Bajan garden. The rustic Bajan gardener has been quite busy working with wood. The round pond developed a serious algae problem again and had to be drained and cleaned. It is now empty and exposed to the sun to kill the remaining algae. I have been trying to tell hubby to convert it into a spa but he would have none of that! So I will wait and see. I now have to remove all the areca palms aka golden palms from around the pond. Some of their roots have invaded the pond and will cause serious cracks over time. So my next project will be the removal of the palms. I may have to cut them all down  because they are too large to dig out.  Until next time have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. What a project! I feel sorry for those palms, but I understand how destructive their roots can be!
    And, your obelisks... You are a handy woman!
    Have a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Moby Dick.
    I had a great experience getting rid of my golden palms and their roots...lots of hard work but now I can't even tell that they were ever there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. Due to annoying spam no anonymous comments will be allowed.